The other day, I had a several bunches of cilantro, mint and Thai basil that needed to be concocted into something good and green. Someone mentioned noodles for dinner, so I made this garlicky citrusy herb pistou, tossed it with rice noodles, house made crisp chili, roasted peanuts and served alongside pan seared scallions and broccolini. It got high fives. Super easy, so I’m sharing for your consideration.
On this particular night this vegan/vegetarian version was perfect, but I would have totally loved adding spicy prawns, marinated grilled chicken or a crispy tofu to the mix. Have this cold or warm. Either way, it’s pretty good.
For the Cilantro Minty Basily Pistou
Makes approximately 2 cups
- 1 C organic cilantro, stems included
- 1 C organic fresh mint, stemmed
- 1 C fresh Thai basil, stemmed
- 4-5 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 T minced jalapeno (optional)
- 3 T fresh lime juice
- 2 T fresh lime zest
- 3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp organic sugar
In a food processor, combine the cilantro, mint, basil, garlic, shallot, jalapeño, lime juice and zest, oil, salt and sugar and pulse until the herbs are finely chopped but not puréed. If the pesto seems dry, you can add a little more oil, 1 tablespoon at a time. If you need more citrus, add teaspoons at a time. Taste for seasoning and add a little more salt and pepper if needed.
For the Noodles
Makes 6 entree portions
- 1 16 oz package of rice stick noodles (3 MM) – we used Bangkok Elephant
- 1-1/2 to 2 C Cilantro-Mint-Basil Pistou
- 3 T oil (canola, vegetable, sesame or caiziyou)
- 1 bunch organic spring scallions, cut in 2″ lengths
- 2 lbs organic broccolini, trimmed or Chinese broccoli, trimmed
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 C roasted peanuts
- 1 C Chinese Chili Crisp (recipe link below)
- Mint, cilantro, Thai basil garnish (one of a combination of all)
Cook rice stick noodles according to directions. They should be al dente. If serving this as a cold noodle dish, drain and set aside. If serving the noodles warm, follow instructions below. In a cast iron skillet on medium high heat, add 1-1/2 tablespoons oil. When hot, add in your cut scallions and char them for about 1-2 minutes without burning. They should be tender and just have a slight blackened appearance. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, on medium high heat add the remaining oil and broccolini. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes, constantly stirring so garlic doesn’t burn. Broccolini should be fork tender with a slightly charred appearance. If serving noodles cold, toss in 1-1/2 cups Cilantro-Mint-Basil Pistou, top each portion with roasted peanuts, drizzle with several teaspoons of chili crisp, garnish with extra herbs. Serve alongside scallions and broccolini.
If serving warm noodles, cook your scallions and broccolini just before finishing the noodles. Cook noodles according to directions, drain and immediately toss with Cilantro-Mint-Basil Pistou and finish dish according to directions above.
Have extra chili crisp and extra pistou on the table ~ you’ll probably want more!
- For the Chinese Chili Crisp recipe – here’s the link : https://pepperandsaltkitchen.com/2022/05/21/chinese-chili-crisp/