Lamb has significant roots in Mediterranean regions such as Spain, Turkey and Greece where every day meals are made special with roasted meats and beautifully seasoned accompaniments. Unlike any other protein, the depth of flavor in lamb charms any accompaniment and enhances dining experiencse. Holidays in this part of the world often include roasted lamb elevated with a confetti of tomatoes, peppers, olives and herbs. This recipe is something I crafted quite literally because I saw some pictures in a magazine and I couldn’t stop thinking about a sunset Mediterranean meal. If only it had been on the Mediterranean Sea. I hope you like this one!
- 8-10 bone-in lamb chops, 1 inch thick
- 1/3 C extra virgin olive oil, (plus more for tomato olive mixture)
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3-4 fresh cloves garlic, minced (plus more for tomato olive mixture)
- 1/2 C fresh organic Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 C fresh organic mint, chopped
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt (plus more for tomato olive mixture)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 medium size heirloom tomatoes, cohpped
- 1/3 C large green olives with pimentos, rough chopped or sliced
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/3 C fresh organic basil, chopped
- 1 T fresh lemon juice (plus more for tomato olive mixture)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- thinly sliced lemons
Preheat grill to 475.
On a sheet pan, place lamb chops in a single layer. In a medium size bowl, add olive oil, vinegar, shallots, garlic, parsley, mint, lemon, lemon zest, and chili flakes. Whisk together and drizzle over chops, rubbing into both sides. Set chops aside to marinate for 30 minutes. In a medium bowl add tomatoes, olives, minced garlic, basil, lemon juice and salt. Toss until well incorporated and put in refrigerator until service. When your grill is at full temperature, lay on grate and grill chops until desired doneness – approximately 6-7 minutes per side for a medium rare. Remove from heat. Let rest for several minutes. Place chops on platter with tomato olive mixture and slices of lemon. Seasoned basmati rice & quinoa mixture makes a nice accompaniment.