I posted this picture a couple of weeks ago because as many of you know, I DON’T BAKE! So when I do, I need to post it! I received numerous requests for the recipe, so here you go! I did not make my crust, so if you are a baker, please do make your crust. It will be soooo much better. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 1 unbaked thawed deep dish pie crust (I used Marie Calendar’s deep dish)
- 1 T finely chopped thyme, plus more for egg mixture
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 2 T shallot, finely chopped
- 1 leek, white and very light green parts only, chopped (about 3/4 cups)
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 C Gruyere, shredded
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 C creme fraiche, plus more for garnish
- 5 large organic farm fresh eggs
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1-1/2 C NW wild caught smoked salmon, cut into small bite size pieces
- 10-12 spears of fresh asparagus
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme
- 2 T chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 T Spanish smoked paprika
Break asparagus ends off and reserve 6-8 whole asparagus spears for decorating the top of your quiche. Cut the rest of your spears into 1/2″ pieces.
In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and saute shallots and leeks for about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for another few minutes. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together cream, eggs, zest, salt, and pepper. Add in salmon, cheese, chopped asparagus, shallo, leek and garlic saute mixture, chopped thyme, dill, salt, cayenne and dill, and mix well. Pour egg mixture into the pie crust, spreading evenly. In a decorative pattern (I fanned mine out) lay whole asparagus spears on top of egg mixture. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until quiche is lightly brown. Insert a knife into center. It should come out clean and not wet. Cool. Garnish with additional dill, smoked paprika and dollops of creme fraiche.