This salad is summer at it’s best. Fresh heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and herbs tossed in a fantastic spiced Bloody Mary dressing. The salad pairs really well with just about anything grilled ~ chicken, pork, beef or fish and or hearty marinated vegetables like eggplant and zucchini. I like to think that this salad could be enjoyed any time of year, but honestly you can’t compare to summer season selections of fresh tomato varieties and fresh cucumbers. They make the salad special. When you make this dish, don’t forget to have a good grilled bread to soak up all the salad juices. It’s not a pretty sight to publicly slurp up a tomato juice soaked slice of bread, but It’s heavenly good. Just do it.
Serves 4-5 portions
- 2 C organic cherry tomatoes, orange, yellow and red, sliced in half
- 1-1/2 – 2 lbs organic heirloom tomatoes (or other summer fresh tomato) ~ approximately 4 large tomatoes, sliced into fork size bites
- 2 – 3 organic green tomatoes (optional), sliced into fork size bites
- 2-1/2 C sliced organic English cucumber (or other organic cucumber), skin on
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 C celery, thinly sliced
- Cracked black pepper
- 1/2 C Italian parsley, rough chopped
- 1/4 C fresh organic dill, chopped
In a large mixing bowl, toss all cut vegetables together. Serve on a large platter and top with chopped parsley and cracked black pepper. Serve dressing on the side. We suggest our Spiced Bloody Mary Dressing (see recipe link below) or a fresh herb vinaigrette.
- We loved this salad dressing with this salad and served it with toasted artisan bread to soak up all the tomato juices and dressing. (here’s the link : https://pepperandsaltkitchen.com/2023/08/01/spiced-bloody-mary-dressing/
- Other ingredients for this salad you might consider, particularly if you plan on using the Bloody Mary Dressing would be crispy bacon bites, pickled green beans (or fresh), pickled asparagus (or fresh), herb croutons, chopped fresh basil.