FOR THE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 large clove fresh garlic, minced
- 2 T raw honey
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling nectarines
In a medium size bowl, add balsamic, mustard, garlic, and salt. While whisking ingredients, drizzle in olive oil. You can also do this in a blender. Refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.
FOR THE SALAD ASSEMBLY
- 4 ripe, but firm organic nectarines, washed and cut into 8 wedges (with the peel)
- 1 organic cucumber, skin on – quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 C fresh organic basil, leaves torn, no stems
- 1/4 C fresh organic thyme, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 C roasted almonds, rough chopped (or slivered)
- 4-5 C organic mixed greens
- 4-6 organic lettuce leaves
- 16 oz burrata
- 1 T cracked black pepper
On a grill. preheat to a medium high. Generously brush nectarines with oil and grill for approximately 4 minutes per side – enough to get grill marks, but keep the fruit firm. Grill all nectarine wedges and set aside to cool until salad assembly. Prep all your other ingredients. In a large salad bowl, add cucumber, basil, thyme, onion, almonds and mixed greens. Just before serving, toss these ingredients with balsamic dressing. On a large platter, lay down lettuce leaves and mound your tossed dressed salad on top. Top with grilled nectarines and burrata and a little cracked black pepper. More herbs and almonds can be added for extra garnish. Serve with toasted whole grain artisan bread and a chilled beverage.
- Adding berries to this salad would be delicious – raspberries, blackberries, marionberries, blueberries ~ all good.
- Try this salad with fresh plums or peaches ~ it’s amazing!
- Consider adding mint or tarragon!
- If you can’t find burrata, fresh mozzarella would be perfectly good.