This is a delicious dish that only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. Vegan Option: Replace chicken with tofu or make it all veggie
Makes 4 Big Bowls!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4-5 thighs, cubed
- 2 T coconut oil, plus 2 T for rice
- 1 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 T fresh lime juice
- 4-5 kaffir leaves (optional), plus 4 for rice
- 2 cups organic coconut milk, whole – not light
- 1 tsp organic sugar
- 3 T sambal
- 1/2 cup organic cashew butter (or peanut butter)
- 2 bunches asparagus, cut in 2″ lengths = about 3 cups
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1-1/2 T minced garlic
- 2-1/2 cups short grain or medium grain white rice
- 2 cups fresh organic baby spinach
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews
- 1/2 C chopped green onion
- Heat oven to 450.
- FOR RICE: melt 2 T coconut oil in stock pot. Add in rice and stir so completed coated. Cook according to directions
- On a sheet pan, toss cut asparagus with sesame oil and roast in oven for 6 min.
- Pull out asparagus and toss with the minced garlic and roast for 2 more minutes. Once slightly caramelized, take out of the oven and set aside
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes, toss with a little salt.
- Melt coconut oil on medium heat in cast iron pan (or other heavy bottom pan) and toss in onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes – don’t let the garlic caramelize!
- Add in ginger, lime juice, kaffir, coconut milk, sugar and sambal
- Simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Add in cashew butter and thoroughly mix into creamy coconut milk
- TO SERVE: spoon 3/4 cup rice in bowl. Along the side of the bowl add spinach. Spoon hot coconut cashew chicken over the top of spinach to wild it slightly..
- Spoon roasted asparagus on top of rice
- Garnish with peanuts and green onion and a drizzle of sriracha