#BLT’s #DoubledeckerBLT #EndofSummerTomatoes
If you’re like me, you still have tomatoes on the vine. These 80 degree days we’re having this week will spike sweetness on these prized possessions. Best way to make the most out of these end of season maters is BLT’s! Here’s one that we’ve enjoyed the last two months. Seriously, I think we’ve had it at least 20 times.
In August, I promised to share the recipe. Ima little late!
MILLION DOLLAR DOUBLE DECKER BLT with Lemon Herb Aioli
makes 4 sandwiches
- 12 slices of seeded bread, lightly toasted. Something good that will hold up ~ like Dave’s Killer bread. (toasting is optional)
- 24 slices of thick sliced peppered bacon. Approximately 2 lbs. Cooked to a crisp.
- 2-3 large summer-ripe tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 ” thick. Brandywine, beefsteak, Early Girl — all work.
- 1 bunch organic green leaf lettuce, washed and dried.
- 1 C organic arugula, torn. (optional)
- 1 sweet onion or red onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup good mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup organic basil, chiffonade cut or chopped
- 1/4 cup organic Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 T capers
- 3 T organic chives, chopped
- 2 T organic thyme, chopped
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp each salt & cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 425. Place raw bacon on rack on sheet pan and bake until crispy. Approximately 15 minutes. Place on paper towels. Once cool, cut each piece of bacon in half. Set aside until ready to assemble. In a medium sized bowl, mix mayonnaise, capers, chopped herbs, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Whisk together until well incorporated. (this is so much more flavorful if made a day ahead). For assembly, lay four pieces of bread on cutting board. Spread about 1 tablespoon mayo herb mixture on each piece. Put 3 halves of bacon on each slice of bread. Top with slice of onion, slice of tomato, one lettuce leaf and a few pieces of arugula. Top with next slice of bread. Repeat layering. You will end up with three slices of bread (two with mayo mixture), layered with two slices of tomato, 6 halves of bacon, two lettuce leaves and two slices of onion. Serve this with a cup of homemade tomato basil soup, sliced cucumbers and dip or sliced fruit. It’s good with anything!