Ninety plus degrees out the next few days. It’s prime time for margaritas. This recipe is new for us and one we’ll probably have again when the sun is so close to the earth! It’s made with fresh organic cucumbers, coconut water, cilantro, mint, fresh lime juice, good rum and ice. Blended until smooth and poured into a chili-lime sumac rimmed glass. It was so refreshing. AND easy to sip, so be careful!!
Makes 8 cocktails with 1-1/2 ounces of rum per serving
- 2 -3 large organic cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp sumac (we used Penzy’s)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 C lime juice (approximately 4 limes)
- 4-1/2 C ice cubes
- 2 C good coconut water
- 12 oz rum
- 1/2 C simple syrup
- 1/3 C fresh organic mint
- 1/3 C fresh organic cilantro
- 1/4 C fresh organic Italian parsley (optional but makes it more green!)
- 8 slices lime rounds and 8 slices cucumber rounds for garnish
- Mint leaves for garnish
Freeze chopped cucumbers in a container with lid (or ziplock) overnight or for at least 4 hours. When you’re ready to cocktail, mix salt, chili powder and sumac on a plate or in a bowl big enough to rim edge of glasses. Rub each glass rim with lime. Tip glass upside down and in a circular motion, twist it in the salt sumac mixture enough so each glass is rimmed all the way around. In a blender, add lime juice, frozen cucumbers, ice, coconut water, rum, simple syrup, cilantro, mint and parsley to blender. Blend until smooth. Carefully pour rum mixture evenly into each glass and garnish with cucumber slice, lime slice and a leaf or two of mint. Serve immediately!
- We think this would be really good with tequila or vodka as well.
- Another twist and richer note to this recipe would be to use coconut milk in place of coconut water
- Serve this margarita recipe with spicy Thai cold noodle salad or Thai grilled chicken & rice. Perfect summer foods with perfectly refreshing beverages!