Jammy fried eggs atop garlicky herb flatbread with roasted red pepper spread, shaved sharp cheddar, a garnish of sofrito, a sprinkling of micro greens and a drizzle of good olive oil. O.M.G.
Breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner or afternoon snack – it’s just simply delicious and simply easy to make. I don’t bake, so I bought frozen garlic naan from Trader Joe’s to help this recipe along. It was perfect. The naan literally takes 5 minutes to bake to a nice crisp, so while that’s happening, you can cook your jammy eggs and sofrito. If you’re making the roasted red pepper spread (I’ve provided the easy recipe), you can do that ahead, but you can make this even simpler by buying Trader Joe’s Roasted Red Pepper Spread. It’s really good ~ we’ve used this many times for this same recipe.
Makes 4 flatbreads (1 per person)
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Garlic Naan
- 4 organic farm eggs (or 8 eggs if serving two per flatbread)
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil, plus more for finishing
- 1 each green bell pepper, red bell pepper and red onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each butter and extra virgin olive oil
- 1 C roasted red pepper spread (recipe below) OR use Trader Joe’s ready-made Roasted Red Pepper Eggplant spread
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shaved
- 2 oz pecorino, shaved (optional)
- 1 C micro greens (or arugula or baby spinach)
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
Warm oven to 425. On a sheet pan, place 4 flatbreads and bake for approximately 5 minutes. While flatbreads are crisping up, get a large skillet set to medium-high heat. To the pan add olive oil. Once the oil is warm and shimmering, add one egg at a time – up to four eggs total in the pan. Cook for approximately 4 minutes, keeping eggs from touching while cooking. Whites should have a golden brown edges and yolks should be tender. If whites are still translucent, you can spoon hot oil over the parts not cooked. Careful to not spoon over yolks so to keep them “jammy” and tender. If you can juggle two pans at once, you can begin to sauté sofrito while eggs are cooking. In a medium size sauté pan on medium high heat, add teaspoons of butter and olive oil. Add bell peppers, onion and garlic. Cook for approximately 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Once done, set aside until flatbread assembly. Remove flatbreads from oven. They should have a golden brown bottom and be lightly toasted. Leaving them on the sheet pan, spoon red pepper spread on each and top with even amounts of shaved sharp cheddar. Put flatbreads back in oven for 1 to 2 minutes to lightly melt cheese. Remove from oven and add one (or two) eggs per flatbread, spoon sofrito evenly on each, garnish with micro greens, shaved pecorino and salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and serve warm!
Roasted Red Pepper Spread
Makes 2 Cups
- 16 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T capers, drained
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3 T organic Italian parsley, stems removed, rough chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate for one hour before serving. Store in sealed jar in refrigerator for one week.