Here’s to the upcoming soup season! We’re making this for dinner tomorrow!
TRADITIONAL CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP with a twist
makes 6 good sized bowls
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil (or 2 T olive oil and 1 T chicken fat if you have it!)
- 2 C diced onion
- 1/2 C diced shallot
- 3-1/2 T minced garlic ~ about 5-6 cloves
- 2 C diced (or sliced) organic carrots
- 1 C diced organic celery
- 2 organic bay leaves
- 1-2 T fresh organic thyme (or dry)
- 3 Quarts organic chicken bone broth (or organic chicken stock)
- 2-1/2 C pulled cooked organic chicken, breast and dark. (make sure to look for bones)
- 8-10 oz of thick egg noodles, dry (see notes for adding to soup)
- 1/4 C chopped organic Italian parsley
- 1 T sea salt
- 1 T cracked black pepper
- 1 C organic frozen peas
- The optional twist! Basil pistou (recipe below)
On medium heat, warm oil and add onion, shallot, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, bay and coat with the oil. Cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes. Don’t let the vegetables get too soft – you want to keep the textural integrity. Add your chicken bone broth and bring to a gentle boil. At this point you can add your noodles OR you can cook your noodles al dente and ladle the broth over the noodles. We often do this when we have extra soup broth so the noodles don’t get too mushy. If adding dry noodles to broth, just simmer for 4 minutes. Add in your chicken. Simmer for 4-5 more minutes and add in parsley, peas, salt and pepper ~ and if you want to add basil pistou, swirl in a teaspoon to each bowl.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 C (packed) fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 C organic Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Blend all ingredients into a smooth paste. Add more olive oil or salt if needed.
I am guessing the 1 cup carrots was supposed to be celery? Looked at picture of soup and think I see celery! . Can’t wait for you to start soup season!