Two years ago today I published this recipe. I think we should be arming ourselves with recipes for zucchini ~ it’s that time of year when they take over our gardens!! So I’m reposting (per a few reader’s requests for more zucchini recipes) and hope you’ll give this one a try. It’s a good one. AND makes for great muffins, as well.
July 24, 2020 : Baking is not my thing, but this was so easy and seemed like a good idea for some of the 10 mega sized zucchini laying on my counter. This isn’t a particularly sweet zucchini bread, but that’s why we liked it so much. It’s also denser and less cake-like, which gave it great appeal as well. It got big stamps-of-approval from our kids and friends. Please let us know what you think! Here’s the recipe we tested:
INGREDIENTS – makes one loaf
- 2 cups organic zucchini, shredded with peel
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts – rough chop
- 1/3 cup dried cherries (you can use raisins or other dried sweet fruit)
- 1 cup shredded coconut – sweetened, reserve 1/4 cup for the top of bread
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup organic milk – whole or reduced fat
- 1/2 cup melted butter – with or without salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar – packed
- 1 T fresh lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a standard 9 X 5 bread pan
- After shredding zucchini, wrap in cheesecloth or tea towel and squeeze all the liquid you can out of the pulp
- Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, hazelnuts, dried cherries and 3/4 cup coconut
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, brown sugar, lemon zest and vanilla. Once all incorporated, add the zucchini and then the dried ingredients with nuts and cherries. Mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared bread pan. Top with 1/4 cup coconut and a few whole hazelnuts.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean from center of bread
- If coconut starts to brown too much, you can cover bread with foil.
- Once cooled, slice and top with butter or we had it with lemon zested cream cheese. Delicious!