This is the drink for Winter 2022. Not to be confused by the Portuguese siphonophore, a blue jelly-fish looking creature with a painful sting. This cocktail is named after the famous race horse, Man O War. It’s a boozy, classic drink that packs a pleasant punch of rich cherry and a hint of orange. We made this recently and everyone that tried it, loved it. Use a good bourbon, pretty ice cubes and jarred gourmet cherries and you’ve got an old fashioned classy cocktail.
Makes one cocktail
- 2 oz good bourbon
- 1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1/2 to 3/4 ounce Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1/2 ounce good cocktail cherry juice (please do not use maraschino cherries – it’s just too sweet)
- 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cocktail cherries for garnish (amaretto soaked cherries are said to be good as well)
- 1 large round or square ice cube
In a cocktail shaker, add ice and all ingredients except the cocktail cherry garnish and large ice cube. Gently stir with proper cocktail spoon until very chilled (about 45 seconds). In a low-ball cocktail glass, add your large ice cube. Strain cocktail mixture over the ice and garnish with 3 cherries on a black pick.