With Easter coming, we know many of you have a ham on the table. This soup recipe is a great one to use with leftover ham. BUT just as delicious, we have offered substitutions to this recipe so you can make a vegan or vegetarian version as well! Let us know what you think ~ this is an all-time favorite in our family.
SPLIT PEA WITH SMOKY HAM
- 1 lb. dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 C onion, chopped
- 1 C organic celery, chopped
- 4 T minced fresh garlic
- 1 C organic carrots, diced
- 1 C organic yukon gold potatoes, diced (no need to peel)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 T dry thyme
- 2 quarts of organic chicken broth (or ham stock)
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper (you can add more)
- 5-6 cups diced smoked ham (if you have a ham hock to use, you can add in place of 3 cups of the diced ham)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- By eliminating the ham and substituting Vegetable Stock for the Chicken Stock, you have a beautiful vegan or vegetarian split pea soup! You may need to add a little more of the vegetables and adjust seasoning with a little more salt and thyme to add more flavor.
- This is a really good freezer friendly soup so if you make extra, it serves as a great side or main dish to meals you’re planning for down the road!